Top 10 Countries That Allow International Students To Study And Work

This is one of the many important questions students ask as they search for schools in countries far away from what they have known as ‘home.’ For many students, going abroad to study can be daunting (and exciting at the same time!).

It’s important to ensure you’re fully prepared before arriving in a country to know exactly what’s ahead of you and avoid any unexpected stress.

Part of being fully prepared as an international student is planning and deciding on a part-time job while schooling.

Top 10 Countries That Allow International Students To Study And Work

Studying And Working In Canada

Obtaining a Canadian visa can be quite a herculean task. It is not the same for students intending to study in Canada. 

While international students must supply sufficient evidence that tuition and living expenses will be adequately taken care of, many work permit programs for international students make working in Canada possible.

International students who hold valid study permits and who are studying full-time at eligible Canadian public and private universities or colleges may be eligible to work on-campus at the institution where they study without a work permit.

The Off-Campus Work Permit authorizes students to put in up to 20 hours per work week during regular academic sessions and full-time during holidays and scheduled breaks.

While the Co-op/Internship Work Permit Program will be given to international students whose, intended employment is an essential part of their program of study in Canada as certified by their Canadian academic institution.

Studying and Working in the UK  

The UK is quite selective about allowing international students to work. Students from outside the UK/an EU country usually need a visa and a list of other requirements to study in the UK.  

Students planning to study in the United Kingdom must know that the country only allows international students to work if granted a Tier 4 Visa.

This visa is given to international students studying in the UK for at least six months. International students will be allowed to work in most jobs depending on their course level and the kind of sponsor they have.

A tier-4 visa usually permits international students to work an average of 20 hours per week during school sessions and full-time during the holidays.

The maximum hours an international student might work during a semester will be printed on the visa sticker or Biometrics Residence Permit (BRP).

Studying and Working in Australia

International students intending to study in Australia must apply for a Student visa (subclass 500).

The student visa allows for up to 40 hours of work every two weeks during the study period and full-time during the holidays for students who desire to work and study in Australia.

Also, it is important to know that once you find a job in Australia, your employer must give you a formal award or agreement establishing the minimum wage you will receive per hour and your working conditions.

Studying And Working In France

International students in France can work both On-Campus and Off-Campus. However, for this to happen, the student is expected to have a residency card and study in an institution that gives access to the Social Security System.

Being a student in France gives you the right to work up to 964 hours during the year, equivalent to 60% of the 35 hours per week that are usually worked in the country.

In France, the minimum wage is 9.40 euros per hour, with approximately 20% going to taxes.

Studying and Working in the US

The United States issues visa to all students coming into the country. The F-1 and the M-1 visas.

The F-1 Visa (Academic Student) allows an international student to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, or other academic institution or in a language training program.

Once an international student receives their F-1 visa, they will have the right to work On-Campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week during the study period and up to 40 hours per week during the vacation period.

This is because students on an F-1 visa can only work on campus in their first year of studies. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may grant permission to F-1 visa holders to work off-campus in their second year of study.

The M-1 visa, on the other hand, allows students on the M-1 visa to take up practical or vocational training only after they have completed their studies. The weekly restrictions range between 12 and 16 hours.

Studying and Working in Singapore

International students must obtain a Pass (Visit Pass) to stay in Singapore; afterward, they can begin searching for jobs.

Once you get a job, you must apply for the Employment Pass. Several colleges and universities in Singapore offer internships as a part of their curriculum during their studies.

If you get admitted to a top institute, you can gain hands-on experience as the institutes have excellent tie-ups and links with the industry. 

Studying and Working in Switzerland & Sweden

Switzerland and Sweden are excellent options for studying abroad. Additionally, both Switzerland and Sweden offer 6-month stay-back options.

Switzerland is one of the best countries for living standards, innovation, and studies in banking & finance, engineering, life sciences, and hospitality management.

Sweden doesn’t get as much media attention as other popular study-abroad destinations. But it’s a small country that definitely punches above its weight.

Studying and Working in Ireland

Ireland offers 12 months of stay back for all international students finishing a bachelor’s degree in Ireland. 

Postgraduate students are allowed to stay for 24 months. Irish degrees align with the industry’s needs, making Irish graduates very employable.

The IT, telecommunication, pharmaceutical, applied sciences, and finance sectors are powerful and provide excellent career opportunities for international students.

Ireland hosts EU and EMEA headquarters and operating hubs of leading companies like Accenture, IBM, Dell, Motorola, HP, Apple, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Google, Microsoft, Pfizer, Genzyme DCC, Oracle, Covidien, CRH, and many others.

Studying and Working In Indian

International (and Indian) students are already in a state of high tension after the US Government changed the immigration and visa rules significantly.

The recent scrapping of the 457 visa category by the Australian government worsened the case. The UK stopped the post-study work visa long back in 2011-12. Things are no different in Singapore and New Zealand.

Students and parents are getting apprehensive about studying abroad, and why shouldn’t they? After all, everyone would like to work in the destination country to gain international work experience and to recover a significant part of their studying costs.

However, bright and deserving Indian (and international) students are unlikely to be affected due to all this turmoil.

All the countries are making their visa, and immigration rules more stringent than ever. But, qualified and skilled students and professionals will continue to enjoy post-study work opportunities in foreign countries.

Study Work Opportunities in Germany

Germany is another destination with excellent post-study work opportunities for international students. You can stay in the country for 18 months after finishing your course. 

You need to apply for an 18-month Residence permit from your local foreign nationals’ registration office to look for a suitable job (relevant to your qualifications).

During these 18 months, you may take up any kind of employment to support yourself and fund your job search.

Once you get a job relevant to the course you studied in Germany, you can apply for a German Residence permit or an EU Blue Card.

Please be advised that the post-study work opportunities are for international students who do their postgraduate studies in Germany. Know more about studying Master’s in Germany.


Working while in school typically has more positive effects on an individual than on their income.

You will learn to spend money more carefully and sensibly and become a more responsible and disciplined person, and overall, the experience will undoubtedly look well on your resume.

We hope this article is helpful to all International Students wishing to study and work while in school.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.