JAMB Central Admission Process System (CAPS) is responsible for the admission process into Nigerian tertiary institutions. On this portal, admission seekers choose ACCEPTANCE or REJECTION of their admission offer.
It is necessary to check your JAMB profile frequently so as to see your admission status on the JAMB CAPS Portal. This portal is necessary for both UTME and Direct Entry candidates.
Importance of JAMB CAPS
The Central Admission Processing System (CAPS) was created to ease the admission process into Nigerian tertiary institutions. It was also designed to ensure the process was transparent and highly credible 1.
JAMB CAPS is designed so a prospective student cannot become a genuine student of any institution without clicking ACCEPTANCE on the portal. JAMB CAPS is also how students verify, as they can only get their Admission letter after accepting the admission on portal 1.
Furthermore, JAMB CAPS enables students to track their admission status as the admission is made in batches and in real-time. This is necessary as some institutions do not upload admitted candidates on their portals or notice boards 1.
How JAMB CAPS Works
The JAMB Central Admission Process System (CAPS) is responsible for the admission process into Nigerian tertiary institutions.
The CAPS portal streamlines the admission process by automating it and removing the occurrence of multiple admissions. Tertiary institutions request candidates who meet their respective cut-off marks. The institution automatically denies admission if the candidate does not meet the stipulated cut-off mark.
The JAMB CAPS portal also has a “marketplace” where tertiary institutions can request prospective students who meet their cut-off marks. Furthermore, students who are expecting their WAEC and/or NECO results are to upload their results to be considered for admission
Requirements for Checking Admission on JAMB CAPS
If you are a candidate in the forthcoming 2024/2025 session JAMB examinations and would like to check your admission status on JAMB CAPS, you will need the following items:
- JAMB Registration number
- Email address
- Internet access
- Mobile phone, laptop, or any other device that can connect to the internet
- Payment for a JAMB admission letter.
How To Check Admission Status on JAMB CAPS Using Email
To check your admission status on JAMB CAPS, please follow these steps:
- Open a browser on your device, preferably Chrome.
- Visit the JAMB facility portal by typing this link in the Google search space on your browser.
- Log in using your registered email address and password to access your dashboard.
- Select your JAMB examination year on the dropdown menu on the portal.
- Select the purple bar to check your admission status and click on “Access my CAPS”.
- If you are using your mobile phone, click on “Desktop site” on your Chrome browser.
- Click on Admission Status.
- Click on the left button to “Accept Admission” and the right button to “Reject Admission.”
PLEASE NOTE: Once you accept the admission, your admission quest is over, as you will no longer be available for other schools’ admission consideration.
On the other hand, if you reject the admission, you become available to other schools with free admission slots for admission consideration 1.
How to Check Admission Status on JAMB CAPS Without Using an Email Address
You can check your admission status on your mobile phone without using an email address by dialing a USSD code. This service costs fifty Naira (#50).
Here are the steps to do so:
- Open the messaging (SMS) app on your phone.
- Type 55019 or 66019 as the recipient of the message.
- Input STATUS with your JAMB examination year as the body of the message, STATUS 2024.
- Click on “Send”.
- You will receive an SMS notifying you of your admission status.
There are three profiles that can appear on JAMB CAPS:
- Not Admitted: This means that the candidate is yet to be considered for admission by the institution of choice. It could also mean the candidate has yet to upload the required O-level results.
- Admission in Process: This means that the institution of choice has accepted the candidate, and CAPs is reviewing the uploaded O-level result.
- Accept or Reject Admission: A congratulatory message on offering provisional admission to the candidate is displayed.
Note: Candidates are notified of a “Transfer of Admission” when they do not meet the cut-off mark for the course they put in for. Their institution of choice is considering transferring them to another department.
If you are a candidate for the JAMB 2024/2025 session, checking your profile on JAMB CAPS regularly is important. This will help you stay informed about your admission status and ensure you don’t miss any important updates.