The word “Lycan” is derived from the word “lycanthrope,” meaning someone who suffers from lycanthropy, “the professed ability or power of a human being to transform into a wolf, or to gain wolf-like characteristics.”
It is a mythological creature of Greek origin.
Greek folklore described Lycan as a naked man who ran through the streets biting anyone he encountered using his bare teeth.
Some other folklore described it as lunacy.
Oftentimes, Lycans are only portrayed in movies, thrillers, and horrors; whether do exist in reality or not, we are yet to find out.
- What Is the Difference Between a Budget and a Standard
- How to Change American Express Card Name
- Will Insurance Pay for a Condemned House?
- Camping in the Desert | How to Survive
- How Much Does a Typical Wedding Cost
- Top 12 Best Paying Jobs in Real Estate Investment Trusts 2024
History of Lycans
Lycans are also popularly said to be a second breed of Werewolves created in the 13th century, stemming from the Werewolf bloodline.
The phenomenon of Lycan became quite popular with the movie Underworld.
As seen in the movie, Lycans are constantly at war with the Vampires due to their former status as oppressed slaves.
The Vampires begin a campaign to exterminate the entire species after the Lycans stage an uprising that nearly destroys the entire Vampire species in the 15th century.
Although the war was believed to be a righteous cause of the noble vampires against the savage Lycans, in truth, the war was instigated by Viktor out of hatred for Lucian for impregnating his daughter Sonja.
The war has recently come to a temporary end after the death of Marius.
Vampire warriors trained to hunt and kill Lycans are known as Death Dealers.
Powers & Abilities
- Lycans display inhuman physical strength, speed, reflexes, endurance, and agility comparable to their vampire counterparts.
- Ability to survive being hit by a moving car head-on.
- Superhuman strength, speed, and agility.
- Catching crossbow bolts in midair.
- Jumping extremely high and overpowering both humans and vampires in physical combat.
- They can likely enter a state of hibernation and survive without blood or oxygen for centuries.
The First Lycan
According to the legend, Lycaon, the son of Pelasgus, angered the god Zeus when he served him a meal made from the remains of a sacrificed boy.
As punishment, the enraged Zeus turned Lycaon and his sons into wolves. Werewolves also emerged in early Nordic folklore.
In another history, according to the movie Underworld, Lucian was the first Lycan who appeared. He was an antagonist in Underworld and the main protagonist of Underworld: Rise of the Lycans.
He was the ancestor of Lycans and the leader of the Lycan resistance from the time of Viktor’s slavery.
Being the first true Lycan, Lucian possesses several superhuman abilities and is the strongest of his race.
He is able to consciously shift between human and wolf form (as well as summon lupine claws, teeth, and eyes while in human form), and his strength and physical abilities are augmented in his wolf form.
Lucian was also the lover of the Vampire Sonja and was largely a catalyst of the events of all Underworld movies.
- Excessive Endurance: Lucian can tolerate many injuries and shows no signs of weakness, including standing on his feet after being hit by a speeding car.
He can also withstand being shot with silver bullets and has endured the extremely toxic effects of Vampires’ silver nitrate bullets for a few minutes.
- Supernatural Power: Lucian is powerful enough to engage in hand-to-hand combat with the Vampires, including Vampire Elder Viktor.
Even as a human, he battles near the first-generation Werewolves, who are ideally stronger than most vampires and new Lycan species.
When he is annoyed by one of his fellow Lycans, Lucian shows himself strong enough to pull him down with one hand.
- Transformation/Shape-Shifting: As a Lycan, he can consciously shift between human and wolf forms.
Differences Between Lycans and Werewolves
1. Unlike the werewolf, Lycans are said to be smarter. When compared to a werewolf, a Lycan is a bit more muscular.
2. To kill a Lycan, one should sever the spine from its body. They cannot be killed using silver.
On the other hand, a werewolf can be killed with silver objects piercing them in the head or the heart.
3. In a werewolf, the transformation to a wolf takes place on a full moon day, and they cannot restrict the transformation.
4. In a Lycan, the transformation to a wolf can occur at any time and place.
5. Werewolves, originating in English folklore, are human beings that have been changed into humanoid wolves, whereas Lycans are humanoid wolves.
6.“Lycanthropy” is also a term that has a modern reference to mental illness.
What is Lycan: Myth or Reality
From all indications, Lycans are just a myth. They are fictional characters with no actual record of real-life existence.
Not once have they been spotted anywhere in the world, so it is safe to say that Lycans are not real just like other mythical creatures.
What do you think? Are Lycans real or not?
Tell us what you think via the comment section, and don’t forget to share too.