The National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) admission forms for Certificate, Diploma, Undergraduate, and Postgraduate programs are now available for the 2024/2025 academic session.
The management of the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) is inviting suitably qualified candidates to apply for admission into Certificate, Diploma, Undergraduates, Postgraduate Diploma, Master’s Degree, and Doctor Of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Programs.
The operation of NOUN is flexible in such a way that the study method permits students to select the pace, place, time, and medium of study. Students’ support facilities are available at all our Study Centres nationwide.
NOUN Admission Requirements for All Programmes
Proficiency Certificate Programmes
- No previous experience or qualification is necessary.
- The ability to read and write will be an advantage.
Note: Candidates for Proficiency Certificates will NOT be qualified to proceed to Certificates/Diploma programs without possessing the requisite basic qualifications.
University (Academic) Certificate Programmes
- Junior Secondary School Certificate.
- Minimum of 2 credits in SSCE/GCE ‘O’ Level, NECO, NABTEB, and at least two sittings.
- T.C. II with at least two merits at not more than two sittings.
- Mature candidates of 30 years and above with relevant work experience of not less than ten years or evidence of prior knowledge/proficiency in a relevant field may be considered on their merit.
- I’dadiyah Certificate of Standard Islamiyyah School.
- At least three credits in SSCE/GCE ‘O’ Level, NECO, and NABTEB at not more than two sittings with at least a pass in the English Language.
- A minimum of three merits in Teacher Grade II Certificate at not more than two sittings.
- Senior Islamic School Certificate/Higher Islamiyyah Certificate, including Arabic and Islamic Studies
- Thanawiyyah Certificate of Standard Islamiyyah School.
- NOUN Academic Certificate and Certificates of other recognized institutions.
Note: To qualify to proceed to the appropriate degree program of NOUN, holders of Diploma Certificates would be required to make up any deficiencies in their SSCE/GCE, NECO, NABTEB, and T.C II.
- Five credits in the SSCE / GCE O’Level / NECO / NABTEB or equivalents at not more than two (2) sittings obtained in subjects relevant to the proposed field(s) of study.
- Teachers’ Grade II Certificates with a minimum of five merits or its combination with any of the certificates listed under (i) to obtain the equivalent of five credits at ‘O’Levels.
- Candidates seeking admission into the School of Law must have five(5) credits, including English Language, Literature in English, and at least a credit Pass in Mathematics at not more than two (2) sittings in NECO / SSCE or GCE O/L only.
- The School of Arts and Social Sciences requires that one of the five credits or merits be in the English Language, while at least two (2) should be in subjects relevant to the proposed field.
- For the School of Management Sciences, the credit passes at Ordinary Level must include English and Mathematics.
- The credit passes for the School of Education must include Mathematics for Science Education and English Language for all humanities. Additionally, those in Science Education must have credit in the English Language.
- For the School of Science and Technology, the credit passes must include Mathematics and English Language.
- The minimum entry requirement for B.Sc. Environmental Science and Resource Management are five (5) O’Level (SSCE / NECO / GCE or NABTEB) Credits at not more than two sittings, including English Language and Mathematics and any of Geography, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Agricultural Science, and Economics.
- National Diploma at Upper Credit from recognized institutions.
- National Certificate in Education (NCE) in the subject(s) relevant to the proposed program of study with a minimum of one merit and two passes.
- International Baccalaureates, Interim Joint Matriculation Board (IJMB) with at least two ‘A’ Level papers in relevant subjects and a pre-requisite number of ‘O’ Level credit passes.
- Candidates for entry into the School of Law must have a minimum Second Class (Lower) degree from any recognized University with at least five credits, including English Language, Literature in English, and a credit pass in Mathematics at not more than two sittings in NECO / SCCE or GCE ‘O’ Level only.
- Candidates for entry into the School of Science & Technology may be admitted into the 300 Level of the program provided they have the following qualification:
- Five (5) credit pass in not more than two sittings in SSCE / NECO / GCE or NABTEB in the following subjects: English Geography and Economics.
- A registered and licensed Community Health Extension Worker with a Diploma in Community Health Officers Programme (Higher National Diploma) and not less than two years post-qualification experience.
- Five (5) ‘0’ level credit passes and ‘A’ level passes must be in subjects relevant to the proposed program (s).
- ‘O’ level credit pass in Mathematics is required for all Sciences and Technology, Business Education, and Science Education Programmes. ‘O’ level pass in Mathematics may be considered for Social Sciences Programmes. Also, an ‘O’ level pass in the English Language may be considered for Physics and Mathematics Programmes.
- Candidates applying for B.A English, B.A. (Ed) English and B.Sc. Mass Communication must have ‘O’ level credit pass in Literature in English.
- Holders of First Degree, HND or RN with prior knowledge and relevant work experience may be considered for advanced placement and waiver.
- Candidates awaiting results of any relevant examination may also apply; they should however note that processing of application will not be completed until entry requirements are met.
Postgraduate Diploma Programs
Candidates seeking admission must possess either Bachelor Degree Certificates or equivalent from institutions recognised by the Senate of NOUN; or
- Holders of HND with a minimum of Lower Credit from institutions recognized by the Senate of NOUN.
- Candidates seeking admission into the School of Law must possess a minimum L.L.B degree.
- Candidates seeking admission for PGD Agricultural Extension and Management must possess a Bachelor’s degree with at least 3rd class division is required.
- Candidates with pass degree and minimum of 3 years related experience may be accepted. HND holders in Agric Science or other related disciplines may be admitted.
- Holders of Bachelor’s Degrees in Basic Science, Biological/Earth Sciences, and Agricultural Sciences from Universities recognized by NOUN are admittable.
- Candidates seeking admission for the PGD HIV/AIDS Education and Management must possess an HND or a good first degree in a related field of study. In addition, five credits in English, Mathematics, a science subject, and two other subjects.
Masters Degree Programs
- A first degree with a minimum of Second Class Lower from a University recognised by the Senate of NOUN in a related field or study.
- A postgraduate diploma in a related field from a University recognised by Senate may also be admitted.
- A good honours degree in Education (Arts, Languages, Sciences, Social Sciences, Vocational and Technical subjects) from any University recognized by the Senate of NOUN.
- Prospective students seeking admission for M.Sc. HIV/AIDS Management are required to have PGD in HIV/AIDS education and management as well as 5 credits in: English and Mathematics, a science subject and 2 other subjects.
Doctor of Philosophy (PH.D.) Programs
- For the Doctor of Philosophy degree programs, candidates must possess a Master’s degree in relevant fields of study from a University recognized by the Senate of the NOUN with a minimum score average of not less than 60% or a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.5 on a 5-point scale.
- Candidates for Ph.D Programmes will be invited for an interactive session before an offer of admission is made.
- Candidates are advised to forward transcripts of their academic records and three (3) referees report, 2 of which must be from persons very well acquainted with the candidate’s academic work, to the Dean, Postgraduate School from which admission is requested.
- As part of her mandate to increase access to Higher Education, the National Open University of Nigeria now offers a Remedial Programme at ‘O’ level to the Nigerian Public.
- Students who are admitted into these programmes will be taught through the face-to-face mode for a full academic year after which they would sit for any National ‘O’ Level examinations of their choice
- For a start, the programme would take off in three Study Centres of the University: Lagos, Kaduna and Kebbi respectively.
How to Apply for NOUN Admission Form
The entire process is electronic and online for 24-hours a day. The method of application is as follows:
- Visit the University’s website
- On the Home Page, go to the Menu Bar, Click on Apply for Admission
- Select either Undergraduate Programme or Postgraduate Programme. Other programme is not available at the moment
- Goto “Choose Faculty” (note it can be found at the left hand side of the screen)
- Select Faculty
- Fill displayed form
- Click below to view admission criteria
- Click “Apply” to proceed.
- Take note of the UNIQUE ID displayed
- Click ‘Continue’ button
- Select Bank Branch as payment type
- Click “Pay”
- Copy and take your RRR number to any bank branch for payment.
- Perform step 1 to 3
- Goto “Continue After Payment”
- Input Unique ID, RRR number and Programme
- Click “Proceed”
- Fill Form. Note: all fields marked with red star are compulsory.
After Filling Form
- Click “Submit”
- Print Admission Letter
- Visit the nearest study centre for screening
Applicants are advised to insist on paying the stipulated cost only and obtain official receipt at the point of payment.
Pay as follow for NOUN online application forms:
- Undergraduate Programmes N5, 000.00 (five thousand naira only)
- Postgraduate (PGD and Masters) Programmes N7, 500.00 (Seven thousand five hundred naira only).
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Programmes N10,000.00 (Ten Thousand Naira only).
Make sure yous seize the opportunity to further your education in any course of your choice at the National Open University of Nigeria.
Share this article with your friends and loved ones. Cheers.